Last Saturday Ryan tested to earn his stripe for his white belt.
Since this was his first test I didn't really know what to expect but am just learning as we go.
Parents aren't allowed to stay so I just had to drop Ryan off, which he was fine with.
For him it just felt like another class day so he wasn't worried about the test and what that all meant.
Monday was the presentation ceremony which is a big deal, so the family was all there.
Ryan was presented with his black stripe by his teacher and Senseis.
Ryan is loving karate so it looks like this might be his thing.
I think it's great for him and love that he loves it,
not to mention how cute he looks!
Tuesday the kids got together to show off their tie-dye shirts that they had made the day before.
This is just another one of their traditions that they expect to do together each year.
Another thing they expect on these long summer days is to have never ending play dates.
They had already been swimming together earlier in the day but were so excited to get together again
when they were invited over for brownies and ice cream with the girls.
After dessert it didn't take them long before they were playing games that they just make up as they go.
These kids never run out of ideas to keep themselves entertained.
Just when the play date should of been ending Jason came out to teach them all how to play kick the can.
I never played it growing up so it was all new to me too but the kids loved it so much and it was the hit of the night. The kids took the game serious, Ryan was a die hard and was all business.
I had to laugh that the kids would go to the same hiding spots every time and no one seemed to catch on.
These five kids just bring a smile to my face.
Friends for a lifetime is what they are.
The fourth of July is yet another tradition they expect to do each year together.
We try to hold them off as long as possible but getting them together at 8pm was still too soon,
the smoke bombs and tanks and a few more games of kick the can bought us a little time at least.
Why the kids love to stand and dance around in colored smoke I just don't understand, but they seem to love it. They also love having their tank battles. Usually they have the U.S.A. tank against the Russians but they changed it up this year and had the McMullen's against the Hoodenpyle's.
I have to regretfully say that the McMullen's lost the 2012 tank battle.
Right when we thought the night was over at 10:30 the kids insisted that they still needed dessert,
so after a quick dish up of strawberry pretzel salad we called it a night
where five very happy and dirty kids had to shower and go right to bed.





i love your kick the can pics! I might have to copy them or we need to play again so I can get some good pictures. ;o)
ReplyDeletethanks for celebrating the 4th with us. the kids had such a great time, i still can't believe how dirty they got!
and way to go Ryan, we're so proud of you!