Thursday, March 17, 2011

a wee bit of fun

The boys were more than a wee bit excited for today.
So excited that at 4:58 this morning Luke was whisper yelling my name
to see if he could get up even though I said not anytime before six.
Not only did the boys each make a leprechaun trap last night but
they also held their first ever Saint Patrick's Day Meeting.
They wanted to come up with a plan on what needed to be done to catch a leprechaun.
Their plan went as follows:
Wake Up
Immediately Turn on the Lights
Look Under the Dressers, Bed and in the Closets
Turn the other Lights on in the House
Check the Traps (Do you hear a rustling sound?
If so then you have a leprechaun in your trap.)
Check for Black Shadows and Objects Moving
Go Downstairs and look to see if Ruby is Irritated
Don't open Outside Doors (check down by your feet to see if
something could sneak out)
Check under Clothes and Messes
Check the Air Vents (if you hear noise, turn to hot or cold and
eventually a leprechaun will scramble out)
So even though I told the boys I wanted their traps to be simple,
it didn't take long before the tape, glue, paint, string and stickers were out.
This is Ryan's trap. He came up with the idea on his own, I just helped him assemble it.
We cut a hole in the top of a milk jug and stuck a few fake golden coins down inside.
He covered it with shamrock stickers and the word gold and placed a ladder up for them.
He was so mad this morning to find out that the leprechauns had re-stacked the ladder on the inside the milk jug and were able to get out.
Luke worked hard and long on his trap. He had painted the entire inside of this shoebox gold, placed a few gold pieces in the bottom and then came up with a contraption for the lid to fall when a piece of gold was picked up that was connected to a stick by a string.
Even though he was sure to tape up any holes in the shoebox, the leprechauns still managed to use the stick and shove it through the tape for their escape once the lid had fallen down on them.
Cody's trap was basic but he was hoping to trick them more with his sign.
The sign that he wrote in cursive( Zaner-Bloser cursive he would tell you).
Leprechaun Bank Right Here With Gold
He is loving learning something new especially since its a bit of a challenge for him.
And he will take any chance to show you some of the things that he can write with the
letters that he knows so far.
His trap worked out the same as the others, even though the lid came down catching a
leprechaun, a door had been cut out of the side of the box for the get away.
We were out tricked again this year!
The table set up with all green and their new shirts.
I don't have a green menu for today, just fitting green in whenever I can
nobody was on board for the corned beef and cabbage that I wanted to make for dinner.
A little craft project that I did with my friend Krista.
Looks simple enough, buttons glued on a canvas in the shape of a rainbow.
Easier said than done.
That's the reason for the whole rainbow not showing, but it's still cute and festive.
And finally the group picture.
Sometimes I wonder why I even try....
Happy Saint Patrick's Day

3 comments:

  1. Wow, those are some serious traps!!!! I love your green table setting and nice cropping of the rainbow, even though I thought it looked fine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why did you have to say something, I wanted to comment and ask why the rainbow was cut off!! Your boys crack me up! I loved listening to them tell the girls all about it this morning.
    Abigail had to wear her JB shirt for the second time this week because it really was the only shirt that had any green on it. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is SO much fun! If I was a better mom I would have #1 remembered today was St. Patty's day and #2 done something fun about it. I love you button rainbow! It's cute!! But, now that you said something about it and Amanda said something about it, I think you need to show the rest of it!

    ReplyDelete