January 22, 2011
If I had to sum up our first family ski trip in one word I would say SUCCESS.
We tried something new as a family [check]
We all worked so very hard [check]
We had beautiful weather [check]
We made new memories [check]
We laughed & had a good time [check]
None of this would of been possible if we didn't have the help from the rest of the family.
This was Tucker & Hailey's only third time up there snowboarding.
Just the process to get up to this point was a lot of work.
So a couple of things have changed since I've been up skiing.
First of all they no longer have the tow ropes.
Instead they have this, the magic carpet (a moving conveyor belt) that you ski up on
and it takes you right on up the hill.
And they no longer teach you to ski by making a wedge to snowplow and slow down
or keeping straight skis to move along,
they instead say make a pizza (slow down) or french fries (to move).
He was somewhat left on his own to figure certain things out.
For instance the poor guy had been wearing his ski boots wrong for part of the day.
Instead of the cushioned part being up next to your shins with the hard plastic piece covering that he had the plastic piece first. He couldn't figure out how people could even enjoy skiing if their shins were being rubbed raw.
Oh, Mr. Ryan!
He was our die hard skier for sure.
Aunt Coco worked with him for most of the day and even took a little abuse from him as well.
Ryan wanted to do everything by his ownself, that is what he would tell her.
He didn't want her touching, hanging on, or helping too much!
The kid loved everything about it.
He went up and down the bunny hill all day long, no breaks (except for lunch)!
Ryan had a special friend that worked at the top of the magic carpet.
Her name was Ashley.
They would talk and play a game each time he went up the ride.
She would try and scare him each time he went by her but even though we would
hear a few screams he would never admit to being scared by her.
Oh, Mr. Luke.
He was the one who talked about skiing non-stop and couldn't wait to get up there and try it.
Something happened once we got there because all his confidence went away and the nerves set in.
It wasn't until right before lunch when he finally would give it a try, but only with me.

He was doing his best and seemed to be enjoying it even though you didn't see him ever smile.

He was doing his best and seemed to be enjoying it even though you didn't see him ever smile.
Luke would get frustrated so easy though and be quick to always blame it on someone or something else. So you better watch out!
He was excited to get back out after lunch until his gloves got lost and then something happened to his mood again. After some glove swapping and more convincing we got him skiing again.
I wish Luke could of been more confident because he was wanting this so bad, he just wouldn't give himself enough credit for what he was able to do because he did awesome!
I think Luke would definitely give this a try again.
Talk about a workout!
This brought back memories because this is how my dad would help me down the hill when I was their age.

Oh, Mr. Cody!

Oh, Mr. Cody!
Uncle Jim worked with Cody and Heath for most of the day.
Cody did great and was so willing to give anything a try.
He didn't show too much expression, you could tell he was a little nervous and unsure at times.
If he got going to fast down the hill he would quickly sit down to stop himself, I never
heard him say the words "I can't".
Cody liked to ski for awhile, then take a break and then give skiing a try again, he was good doing whatever.
This was a day of working non-stop.
There were times I started to lose my patience and get a little frustrated.
It was hard work constantly getting in and out of skis, helping kids untangle themselves from their falls and trying to help everyone all day long.
In between skiing, Cody would often be found sleeping in the snow.
And he really did sleep, Luke would too!
People even commented that they had never seen someone able to sleep in the snow.























Great pictures Miss... time to plan our next trip. We were blessed with a great day and beautiful weather.
ReplyDeleteLooks like fun...kind of. Nash always wants to do everything by his ownself, too....funny that Ryan says the same thing. You got some great pictures!
ReplyDeleteTawnya took Shelby, Cailey, and me last year and taught us all how to ski at once. I had a great time. I a too big of a chicken to drive it by myself so I have not gone since, but do look forward to it again. I would take Cailey up and TAwnya would wait for her at the bottom and catch Cailey at the bottom...she needs to learn how to stop better. Gotta love pizza..PIZZA...PIZZA...I got a kick out of the saying too.
ReplyDeleteWhat a blast! I'm so glad the weather was nice for you guys, that makes anything new way more fun.
ReplyDeleteI love hearing all the stories from the day, I can totally picture it.
Melissa so fun, we are going up Friday night for the first time this year. Remember when I gone up the first time, and I didnot want to stop and you and Miskee would make me ride on the chair lift alone or with the weird guy LOL or the lovely ski bus and you would get sick on the way up. I love the memories and telling my kids about all of our stories, and the memories we are now making with our familys. Love the pictures!!
ReplyDelete